The First Tee uses golf to teach youth life lessons and leadership skills. Sessions include a fun, group setting for youth ages 5 to 18 regardless of background or previous experience. Teaming up with experts in positive youth development, The First Tee helps youth become good golfers and even better people.
A Youth GOLF Program Unlike Any Other
The First Tee emphasizes Nine Core Values. Through golf and our core values, your kids and teens will learn life skills like:
- Making proper introductions
- Managing emotions
- Resolving conflicts
- Setting up step-by-step goals
- Planning for the future
- Appreciating diversity
Advancing through the LIFE SKILLS CURRICULUM Program
Youth ages 5–18 progress through different levels by demonstrating The First Tee Nine Core Values, life and golf skills as well as passing an assessment. All participants start at thePLAYer level (except for kids ages 5-6 which begin at Pre-Par). The pinnacle of The First Tee is completing Ace.
- Pre-Par (ages 5–6) – The youngest golfers are introduced to the nine core values, golf fundamentals, etiquette and rules in an environment that promotes curiosity for the game.
- PLAYer (age 7+) – Tee up for the first time and learn the game of golf and The First Tee’s Code of Conduct.
- Par (age 9+) – Focus on interpersonal and self-management skills on and off the course.
- Birdie (age 11+) – Emphasis on setting goals and making them a reality.
- Eagle (age 13+) – Learn resilience, conflict resolution, and future planning.
- Ace (age 14+ or rising 9th grader) – Put it all together and hone in on setting goals, career education, and giving back to the community.
You will be taken to the YMCA of South Hampton Roads online registration portal.
Scholarships for participation are available thanks to generous donations to The First Tee of Hampton Roads annual giving campaign.